Books and ebooks by Roger Ellerton
Discover Your Preferred Representational System
By Roger Ellerton Phd, ISP, CMC, Renewal Technologies Inc. www.renewal.ca
Please Note: This VAK preference assessment may be printed and used for yourself or your friends for personal enjoyment, provided it is reproduced in full, including author bio and a link to renewal.ca. It may not be used in articles, websites, presentations, books, manuals, training courses, seminars, workshops or any commercial or business activity without the written permission of Roger Ellerton/Renewal Technologies Inc. If you republish this article without permission, you will be in violation of copyright law and sent an invoice. You may share this and other pages with your friends via facebook, twitter, google+, etc., simply use the buttons in the left hand margin. Or you can link directly to this page from your website or blog.
If you would like to receive a free copy of this VAK test formatted in Microsoft's Excel (2007) or (2003) - does all of the calculations for you, please send an e-mail to me, Roger Ellerton at email@example.com. Please put 'VAK Preference Test' in the subject line. I will send you an electronic copy as soon as I can, however I do go on vacation from time to time, so there may be a slight delay.
Each of us has a preferred representational system (visual, auditory, kinesthetic or digital (auditory digital) - often referred to as VAK) - for more information on the NLP visual, auditory, kinesthetic and digital representational systems, please see the article Modalities and Representational Systems . There are several ways to determine which system(s) each of us prefers. This article presents a VAK preference assessment. The assessment is not fully definitive as there are only 12 test questions and your preferred representational system may change over time or in different contexts.
In general, one representational system is not better than another. If you score low on one or more of the systems, you may wish to get curious and explore how this is affecting your life experiences.
Have fun with this assessment and I hope it provides you with additional insight on how you prefer to communicate with others.
For each of the following statements, please assign a number to every phrase. Use the following system to indicate your preferences:
If you have trouble deciding between two phases, go with the first thought that comes to mind.
Representational System Assessment © Renewal Technologies 2003
1. When vacationing at the beach, the first thing that makes me glad to be there is:
2. When overwhelmed, I find it helps if:
3. When given an assignment at work, it is easier to carry out if:
4. I find it easier to follow a presentation if:
5. When buying a car, I make my decision on:
6. I communicate my thoughts through:
7. When I am anxious, the first thing that happens is:
8. During a discussion, I am most often influenced by:
9. I assess how well I am doing at work based on:
10. One of my strengths is my ability to:
11. I enjoy:
12. If you agree with someone, you are more likely to say:
Determining Your Preferences
1. Copy your answers to the lines below:
2. Add the numbers in each column. A comparison of the totaled scores gives your relative preference for each of the four major representational systems. The higher the score, the higher your preference.
Author: Roger Ellerton is a certified NLP trainer, certified management consultant and the founder and managing partner of Renewal Technologies. He can be reached at Renewal Technologies www.renewal.ca. The above article is based on his book Live Your Dreams Let Reality Catch Up: NLP and Common Sense for Coaches, Managers and You (Second Edition).
Copyright © 2003, Renewal Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
Make a Difference in Your Life -- Health, Relationships, Career -- Improve Your Communication Skills, Have Greater Self-Confidence ...
Renewal Technologies Inc.