This article may not be republished without written permission from Roger Ellerton/Renewal Technologies Inc. If you republish this article without permission, you will be in violation of copyright law and sent an invoice. You may share this and other pages with your friends via facebook, twitter, google+, etc., simply use the buttons in the left hand margin. Or you can link directly to this page from your website or blog.
Brainwaves, what do you know about them? All of our brains emit brainwaves. And the type of brainwave that we emit indicates if we are processing more with our unconscious mind or our conscious mind. Not only that, we can influence the type of brainwave activity we have and hence influence if we are relaxed, creative, more easily influenced by suggestions, or are able to access accelerated learning capabilities.
Our brains generate electrical signals or brainwaves, which can be measured by an electroencephalograph (EEG). Brainwaves are divided into four predominant speed ranges or patterns (cycles per second or hertz (Hz)): Delta, Theta, Alpha and Beta. Delta exhibits the longest and slowest brainwave at 0.5 - 4 Hz, while Beta brainwaves are much shorter and faster at 13 - 30 Hz. Each type of brainwave played a critical role in our mental development during our childhood. And today, they play an important role in maintaining our health and vitality as adults. Your brain can be functioning in more than one brainwave state concurrently; however there are specific times when one state will dominate.
The following table provides a brief description of each brainwave pattern, together with suggestions on how to use these to our advantage as parents of youngsters or for our own betterment. The exact frequency range for these patterns may vary slightly depending on the author.
|Delta||0.5 - 4 Hz||* The dominate brainwave of infants (from birth to 24 months) -- awake, nursing or asleep.|
* In adults, found during periods of deep sleep.
|* Unconscious, deep sleep, very deep relaxation.|
* No feelings/emotions in this state.
* Body is healing itself and resetting internal clocks.
* Production of vital hormones such as HGH (human growth hormone, a key element in anti-aging), a sense of well-being and longevity.
* Accelerated language retention and stimulated release of growth hormone.
|* Engage your children in conversation, even if they are not fully capable of responding.||* Get plenty of deep restful sleep.|
|Theta||4-8 Hz||* Children's brainwaves begin to accelerate between the ages of two and six into the faster Theta state, which explains their rich imagination and creativity at this age.|
* In adults, we experience this state as we are drifting into sleep and just as we are waking up.
* Also occurs when we are dreaming, in deep hypnosis, meditating, or "in the zone" in sports.
* Repetitive movements or sounds can assist you in accessing this state.
|* Much of your unconscious potential lies here and your unconscious mind is totally dominant.|
* A state of tranquility, deep relaxation and is related to out of body experiences and spiritual episodes or enlightenment.
* Provides greater access to creativity, insights and intuition.
* Decreased sensitivity to pain. Under hypnosis, many people go into hypnoanaesthesia (so deeply relaxed that surgeries can occur with sensation but without pain).
|* Expose your children to situations and toys that stimulate their creative juices.|
* Support your children to explore what's possible.
|* Learn about hypnosis/self hypnosis, NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) and other related methodologies. NLP for example has many techniques that allow you to fully relax and reach a state of peace, tranquility and get in touch with your creative side.|
* As a coach/therapist, your tone of voice, choice of words and background music can assist your clients to access this state.
|Alpha||8 - 13 HZ||* From six to twelve years of age, children's brainwaves accelerate to the Alpha state.|
* Occurs when we meditate, daydream or enter the lighter states of hypnosis or highway hypnosis.
|* Your mind is relaxed but alert. This is a state of passive awareness, composure, of physical and mental relaxation. Emotional sensations in the alpha state include a sense of well-being, pleasure and tranquility.|
* A state of accelerated learning.
* Your unconscious mind is still in the forefront and your conscious mind is not yet dominant.
* Your unconscious mind does not distinguish between what you imagine or actually experience. It simply does what it is told, shown, or imagined until it becomes a habit. This is why hypnotic suggestions can have powerful effects in the alpha brainwave state.
|* Encourage your children to dream what's possible.|
* Be aware of the suggestions you are giving your children that will have an effect on their adult life. Are you suggesting to your children that the world is full of opportunity or a scary place?
* Be aware of the messages that you give your children "Don't be so stupid." "You are bad." Hearing messages such as these create beliefs that may last a lifetime.
|* If you find yourself stressed-out on a regular basis, explore meditation, hypnosis/self hypnosis to put you into a state where you can fully relax and reduce the stress you are experiencing.|
* No matter what your age, take the opportunity to dream and imagine what is possible for you.
* NLP and hypnosis offer many techniques to assist you.
* Learn to breathe in a relaxed manner - slowly inhale a normal amount of air through your nose, filling your lower lungs, then your upper lungs. Exhale slowly and easily.
|Beta||13 - 30 Hz||* At age twelve, children's dominant brain waves begin to accelerate to the adult "fully awake" brainwaves of Beta.|
* The most common form of brainwaves. Beta brainwaves are present during mental thought and activity.
|* A familiar state of eyes open, fully alert, focused on what is around us. This is the state in which we deal with the day-to-day solving of life's issues.|
* Emotional sensations in the Beta state include anger, worry, fear, anxiety, tension, surprise, hunger and excitement.
* Your conscious mind is dominant.
|* Support your child in recognizing, analysing and addressing problems.|
* Emotional sensations will be experienced, potentially for the first time. Help them work through these emotions in a healthy, resourceful and safe manner.
|* Although your conscious mind is dominant, realize that most of your habits/strategies run at an unconscious level. Do these strategies support what you desire in life? If not, become consciously aware of them and explore hypnosis and NLP techniques to make the changes you desire.|
Author: Roger Ellerton is a certified NLP trainer, certified management consultant and the founder and managing partner of Renewal Technologies. The above article is an extract from his book Parents' Handbook: NLP and Common Sense Guide for Family Well-Being.
Copyright © 2008, Renewal Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.